What it's all about

Ten years ago, my husband and I moved to our home in Weaverville, NC. Since then we have dug, hoed, tilled and cleared; creating flower and vegetable gardens. Like most things in life we have learned through trial and error; in fact, just two years ago we scrapped the whole thing and started over. So, through this process I have learned a few things about gardening organically. I would say that gardening is my meditation; cultivating, nurturing, and ultimately giving the end result up to the universe to decide its fate has been a great lesson for me to carry through out my life. My hope in writing this blog is to communicate with other gardeners, both novice and veteran, who share this same passion and love for farming. I hope for this to be a place where we can share knowledge and learn from each other. It is March in the south and all the seed catalogues have been put away, the days of dreaming and longing are over, it is time to garden!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

5 comments:

  1. The rabbit and chicken munuer will be great to have for the oder plants later on when it has been set for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture! I'm looking forward to some early lettuce when I come down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear someone's working in the garden in early spring. Currently, I'm a human weeder, as there is no such thing as "organic" pre-emergent. Currently in Charleston, SC, it is preparation time. Mainly getting the soil prepped, weeding and general maintenance. The only seed we have started so far is Nasturtium (thanks for the recommendation Mollie). This is really the fun part, but I can't wait to get some veggies in the ground. However, I can't say I'm 100% organic, as I have treated 2x8 for my raised garden boarders (Oh, the nasty creosol, I’ll let you know if it makes my food taste like a railroad track, or if I grow extra toes). However, I do strive to keep my garden growing thru the help of Mother Nature, and fight pests and unwanted weeds by hand. DE (diatomaceous earth) is a great pesticide. You can pick it up at your local pool supply store (and is great for fleas). However, when it rains, you will need to reapply. I hope everyone following this blog is getting pumped for a fun and exciting growing season. We typically grow peppers, tomatoes, tons of herbs, corn, eggplant, carrots, squash/zucchini, artichoke and usually a couple of new things. Any suggestions, insight or ideas are welcomed. However, I have learned that just because we're in the south, it doesn’t mean we can all grow the same things,the same way or at the same time. But I love the suggestions and interesting reading. As Roland Austin would say, "Happy Gardening". (Does anyone know who Roland Austin is?) If anyone knows who he is (without goggling him), I’ll send you a bag of the hottest habanero peppers you’ll ever have. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah..you are such a little budding gardener, you will surpass my expretise in a matter of time, like next week. I agree with the manure idea, it will be great to have the bunny and chicken manure this year. However, we will have to make sure that the manure is fully broken down or we can burn the plants with the wet stuff.....
    Jason...So gladt see you on here. I understand your need for the creosol preservative..poor caine spends a large part of our spring fixing the beds every year. And who is Roland Austin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to let you know, I like gardening, but I am not a budding gerdener

    ReplyDelete